Published On: Mon, Oct 17th, 2016

Kapil Sharma moves Bombay HC against BMC notice asking to demolish his office

696 views

Kapil Sharma moves Bombay HC against BMC notice asking to demolish his office

He had allegedly initiated internal changes within premises sans official permission from BMC.

Mumbai: Kapil Sharma has challenged the BMC’s decision to demolish supposedly illegal portions of his Versova office, by moving the Bombay high court.

Sharma, in his petition, claimed that the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) notice was ‘bad in law’ and issued with ‘malafide intentions’.

“In March and April 2010, the civic body issued commencement certificate to the developer granting permission to construct the 18 floors. On November 6, 2013, the corporation issued Full Occupation Certificate to the building,” Sharma said in his petition.

However, on November 14, 2014, BMC’s assistant engineer from Building and Factory department issued notice to Sharma claiming that he had made some illegal constructions in his flat in the building, and sought his reply.

Sharma, in his reply to the BMC, said no unauthorised construction was carried out at his flat in the building.

The civic body on December 1, 2014, however, replied refusing to accept the actor’s clarification.

Sharma then filed an application in Dindoshi sessions court against the notice. On December 28, 2014, the sessions court granted interim relief and directed the civic body not to initiate any action pending hearing of the application.

“Despite the sessions court order, the corporation issued another notice on April 28 this year directing razing of the building,” Sharma said in his petition.

The actor-comedian had recently taken to twitter to sensationally reveal about a BMC official seeking a 5 lakh bribe from him in exchange for permission to construct the aforementioned office.

Kapil had tagged prime minister Narendra Modi’s twitter account, and had created quite a furore, until Maharshtra CM Devendra Fadnavis, intervened and promptly asked for details regarding the BMC official.

Kapil Sharma

Kapil Sharma

Following this, the BMC had claimed that the actor had flouted norms not only in his Versova office building but also at his apartment in suburban Goregaon.

On April 28 this year, the civic body had issued a notice to Sharma under section 351 of the Mumbai Municipal Corporation Act, claiming that certain constructions in the 18-storey residential building ‘DLH Enclave’ in Goregaon, in which the actor has a flat, were illegal and hence will have to be razed down.

Sharma had allegedly initiated internal changes within premises sans official permission from BMC, back in May, 2016.

The BMC had also issued a stop-work notice to Sharma for said changes, in July. An ultimatum of 24 hours had been given to the comedian to pull down illegal extensions.

This was followed by the BMC going ahead and demolishing segments in August.

Sharma, in his petition, sought the notice to be set aside and direction to be issued to the corporation not to act upon the notice pending hearing of this petition.

The petition is likely to come up for hearing in due course of time before a division bench of Justices Ranjit More and Anuja Prabhudessai.

About the Author

Syed Ammar Alavi

- is Lahore (Pakistan) based journalist & writer with 25-year experience in print, wire and broadcast forms of journalism. His major fields of interest are politics, film,tv,sports, climate change and technology

Pin It