Published On: Sat, Jul 23rd, 2016

Merkel to convene German security council after Munich shootings

322 views

Merkel to convene German security council after Munich shootings

Berlin (AFP) – German Chancellor Angela Merkel will convene her security council Saturday to address the deadly shooting rampage in Munich, her chief of staff Peter Altmaier said.

Altmaier told ZDF public television on Friday that Merkel was being “constantly briefed” on developments in the southern city, where police say at least eight people were killed and up to three gunmen were still at large.

“The cabinet ministers concerned are on their way to Berlin,” he added.

Beyond the chancellor and her chief of staff, the German security council includes the ministers for foreign affairs, defence and interior affairs as well as other top officials.

Altmaier said the council would “compile all information available and evaluate it”.

“We are determined to do everything we can so that terror and inhuman violence stand no chance in Germany,” he said.

“Our thoughts are with the victims of the attack, with their loved ones and also with the police who are defending freedom and security.”

Merkel had been due to start holidays in the Alps, while her Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere, on a flight to New York when the shootings began, was heading back to Berlin.

Merkel to convene German security council after Munich shootings

Munich Shooter Was German-Iranian Teen, Motive ‘Unclear': Police

Munich police said on Saturday that the shooter in a deadly shopping mall rampage was an 18-year-old German-Iranian man whose motive was “completely unclear”.

“The perpetrator was an 18-year-old German-Iranian from Munich,” police chief Hubertus Andrae told reporters after the massacre Friday that left 10 people dead including the gunman.

“The motive or explanation for this crime is completely unclear.”

Andrae said the shooter — who opened fire at a busy shopping centre near the southern German city’s Olympic stadium before turning the gun on himself — had dual citizenship and “no criminal record”.

 His body was found about one kilometre (0.6 mile) from the mall.

Twenty-one people were injured in the rampage, 16 of whom were still being treated in hospital. Three were seriously hurt, Andrae said.

“There were youths among the dead,” he said, adding that some of those injured were children.

News Source Yahoo News & NDTV

About the Author

Syed Ammar Alavi

- is Lahore (Pakistan) based journalist & writer with 25-year experience in print, wire and broadcast forms of journalism. His major fields of interest are politics, film,tv,sports, climate change and technology

Pin It