Published On: Fri, Aug 5th, 2016

Six militants involved in Quetta blasts caught, says Bugti

274 views
Today I am here because of the people and it is my constitutional and moral responsibility to provide security to them and their property,” CM Balochistan noted. PHOTO: INP

Today I am here because of the people and it is my constitutional and moral responsibility to provide security to them and their property,” CM Balochistan noted. PHOTO: INP

QUETTA: Security forces in Balochistan have arrested six suspected militants of a banned outfit who were allegedly involved in two bomb blasts in Quetta which claimed over 15 lives even as the provincial government decided to enhance operations against terrorists.

During a briefing on Thursday, Provincial Home Minister Sarfaraz Bugti along with Inspector General Police Balochistan Ahsan Mehboob, Home Secretary Dr Muhammad Akbar Herifal disclosed that in joint raids conducted by police and intelligence agencies at two suspected hideouts near the Eastern by-pass and Killi Shabo localities on the outskirts of Quetta on Wednesday night, six suspects were arrested.

“Police and other law enforcement agencies arrested all six alleged militants involved in the two blasts,” he said, adding that police and other law enforcement agencies were still investigating the two incidents and more arrests could follow.

Bugti said that these suspected militants were allegedly involved in the bomb attack on a passenger bus in Sariab area that left 11 people dead in October 2015.

The suspects had also allegedly planted a motorcycle-borne bomb near Almo Chowk in June which killed three people and injured 20 others.

Bugti added that the suspects, who belong to the banned United Baloch Army (UBA), were also involved in grenade attacks and other subversive activities.

Replying to a question, Bugti said that the involvement of Indian spy agency RAW and Afghan intelligence agency National Directorate of Security could not be ruled out as they have been funding banned organisations to foment unrest in Balochistan.

“We have ample evidence of RAW and NDS involvement,” Bugti said, recalling that a few months ago agents of NDS had been arrested from the border town of Chaman and other areas.

Law and order meeting

Earlier during a law and order meeting chaired by Balochistan Chief Minister Nawab Sanaullah Zehri in Quetta, the provincial government decided to beef up security in the provincial capital.

Law enforcement agencies in the province were also directed to enhance coordination and evolve a joint strategy which prevents terrorists from re-emerging and deny them space.

In this regard, check posts at all entry and exit points to Quetta will be fortified while patrolling will be intensified. Security cameras will also be installed.

Zehri hailed law enforcement personnel for their bravery and courage.

“Today I am here because of the people and it is my constitutional and moral responsibility to provide security to them and their property,” CM Balochistan noted.

Published in The Express Tribune, August 5th, 2016.

About the Author

Shahid Tariq

- is a SEO Consultant. He has over 4 years of experience in SEO, e-commerce, content strategy and digital analysis. Shahid has helped grow businesses through more effective search marketing and SEO strategies.