Published On: Wed, May 4th, 2016

Ted Cruz ends White House bid, setting Trump on path to nomination



WASHINGTON: Ted Cruz suspended his White House campaign on Tuesday (May 4) after suffering a crushing defeat in Indiana’s primary, leaving the road wide open for Donald Trump to seize the Republican nomination.

“From the beginning, I’ve said that I would continue on as long as there was a viable path to victory. Tonight, I’m sorry to say, it appears that path has been foreclosed,” the Texas senator told supporters in Indianapolis.

“Together, we left it all on the field in Indiana,” said Cruz, whose withdrawal leaves the low-polling John Kasich as Trump’s sole challenger.

“We gave it everything we’ve got, but the voters chose another path. And so with a heavy heart, but with boundless optimism for the long-term future of our nation, we are suspending our campaign.”

The latest contest in the 2016 White House race was seen as a day of reckoning for the “stop Trump” movement.

Cruz had been hoping to use Indiana as a firewall, blocking Trump from receiving the 1,237 delegates needed to secure the nomination ahead of the Republican convention in Cleveland in July.

Until recently, the midwestern state was widely seen as favouring the Texas senator, who has performed well in primaries dominated by conservative and evangelical voters. But Trump – who has thus far defied political logic to lead the Republican race – swept the arch-conservative senator aside.

Partial results showed the billionaire securing more than 52 per cent of the vote, more than 15 points ahead of Cruz. Kasich languished at barely 8 per cent.

It leaves Trump in the race with Kasich, who has won just one state, Ohio, where he serves as governor. Kasich’s campaign issued a statement in which it said he would remain in the race until a candidate reached the 1,237 delegate threshold to clinch the nomination.

Reince Priebus, chairman of the Republican National Committee, wrote in a tweet, “@realDonaldTrump will be presumptive @GOP nominee, we all need to unite and focus on defeating @HillaryClinton.”

The timing of Cruz’s departure is somewhat of a surprise, as he had made a blistering attack on Trump earlier Tuesday after Trump had suggested that Cruz’s father, Rafael, hung out with Lee Harvey Oswald. The story was based on a National Enquirer report.

But Indiana was to be a firewall, after Trump’s sweep of northeastern states last week. Instead, Trump was poised to take all or almost all of the Hoosier State’s delegates.

Cruz faced a daunting challenge of waging a campaign in California, which holds its primary on Jun 7. It would have required a huge outlay on advertising and organizing.

“We are suspending our campaign, but here me now, I am not suspending our fight for liberty,” Cruz said.

Cruz cited Ronald Reagan’s bid for the Republican nomination in 1976 which galvanised conservatives but fell short to incumbent President Gerald Ford. But Reagan swept into office four years later.


News Source ChannelNewsAsia

About the Author

Syed Ammar Alavi

- is Lahore (Pakistan) based journalist & writer with 25-year experience in print, wire and broadcast forms of journalism. His major fields of interest are politics, film,tv,sports, climate change and technology